Mercy's world stories

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson - Patricia Briggs

This collection of short stories from the world of Mercy Thompson was a delight. Most stories feature characters that played second fiddles in Mercy’s novels. A few stories introduce new characters, like Gray, a story about a vampire. A nice, honorable vampire. And a ghost. A charming story.

Several stories I read in other anthologies before and liked. Still love them: Seeing Eye and Alpha and Omega. Actually, Alpha and Omega started its own series, and for me, it’s the favorite of all the stories and novels from Mercy’s world. Other stories were new to me but talked about characters I encountered before.

The story I liked the least was Hollow, the only story in the collection featuring Mercy, the girl-shifter-coyote who started it all. As in all Mercy stories, she gets injured in this one. I’m tired of reading about Mercy being injured. That’s why I stopped buying her books at the novel #3, Iron Kissed. I read the rest of her series from the library, while I own all Anna and Charles books.

Overall, this book is one of the best short story collections in the UF genre. The pace is fast in every story, the writing beautiful, typically Briggs, and the characters all inspire my affection or at least respect. I want more of them.

Recommended to all fans of Patricia Briggs and anyone else who enjoys UF. You don’t need to read any of Mercy novels beforehand to appreciate this book.