Bookish Q&A

— feeling big smile

Nya Reads started this game of 10 questions and nominated everyone on BL. A few of my friends already answered her questions. Here are my answers.

1. What is your favorite childhood book?

I don’t remember from my earlier childhood, but starting somewhere in the end of elementary school, when I could read easily myself, definitely Scarlet Sails by Alexander Grin. I still love this romantic novella and I translated it from Russian, so my English speaking friends could read it too. You can find my translation on Wattpad.

2. E-books or printed books?

Definitely print. I like the ease of cheating, paging to the end and back. I like paper, period. A paper book doesn’t need a battery, it lasts longer than any electronic device – they all need replacement in 5 years or so – and it doesn’t depend on the kindness of Amazon to keep my file safe. My bookcase does the job. PAPER.

3. What is your favorite place to read?

My home, my favorite armchair beside the window, with an ottoman in front for my feet.

4. Is there any genre you would never read?

I don’t read horror or thrillers, and I don’t read erotica.

5. What’s your review rating system?

I posted it before – many of us did a couple months ago – but here it is again.

5 stars - love it! Probably will reread it one day.

4.5 stars - very good. Definitely will reread it. Must own. My bookshelves are full of 4.5 star books.

4 stars - good. I enjoyed it, although it has some minor problems.

3.5 stars - practically the same as above but with variations due to my personal taste.

3 stars - OK. Read and enjoyed but not 100%. A solid reading fare.

2 stars, 1 star - I seldom give those. It means I dislike the book, and if I dislike it I usually DNF it. I almost never post my DNFs. Too often, they reflect not the quality of the book but my personal opinion, and I don't want to lower the rating of any book by a living writer just because I don't like it. Someone else might.

6. What is your favorite fictional character?

Miles Vorkosigan from Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan series, no competition. I love the guy. The only one who could’ve competed for the title would be Peter Wimsey from Dorothy Sayer’s mystery novels, but Lord Peter is a little too aristocratic for me. Miles is perfect. He’s even short, like me. My favorite book about him is Komarr.

7. What was the best film adaption of a book?

I think one of the best was LOTR. Or, if we talk about TV series, Bones and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. Both series are better than books they are based on, IMO.

8. How do you chose the next book to read?

No system. Sometimes it’s the next book that came from the library. Sometimes some trashy romance or a magical fantasy. Sometimes, one of my friends on BL recommended it, and I thought it was a good idea to start right away. Basically, it depends on my mood. And the library, of course.

9. Top 3 authors?

That’s a tough one. I can’t limit myself to just three. Let’s see.

1. Georgette Heyer – historical romance

2. Jennifer Crusie – modern romance

3. Lois McMaster Bujold – science fiction

4. Terry Pratchett (City Watch sub-series) – fantasy

5. Sharon Shinn – fantasy

6. Sarah Addison Allen – magic realism

7. Jayne Ann Krentz in all her current nom de plumes.

I guess 7 is a good number too.

10. Is there any book release you are particularly looking forward to?

Lois McMaster Bujold is going to release a new novel about Cordelia, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, in 2016. Can’t wait. Here is what the blurb on GR says:

Three years after her famous husband's death, Cordelia Vorkosigan, widowed Vicereine of Sergyar, stands ready to spin her life in a new direction. Oliver Jole, Admiral, Sergyar Fleet, finds himself caught up in her web of plans in ways he'd never imagined, bringing him to an unexpected crossroads in his life.

Meanwhile, Miles Vorkosigan, one of Emperor Gregor's key investigators, this time dispatches himself on a mission of inquiry, into a mystery he never anticipated; his own mother.

Plans, wills, and expectations collide in this sparkling science-fiction social comedy, as the impact of galactic technology on the range of the possible changes all the old rules, and Miles learns that not only is the future not what he expects, neither is the past.

Sharon Shinn is going to release a new novel Jeweled Fire in November 2015. I look forward to reading this book.