Hello, I'm back

Secret Sisters - Jayne Ann Krentz The Brimstone Deception - Lisa Shearin The Great Escape - Susan Elizabeth Phillips Running Hot - Jayne Ann Krentz Welcome to Temptation - Jennifer Crusie Magic Stars  - Ilona Andrews Sweet Everlasting - Patricia Gaffney Gallant Waif (Harlequin Historical, #557) - Anne Gracie

Hello, friends. I have had a couple of bad weeks. I was so depressed I couldn’t write, not even book reviews. I couldn’t socialize either, face to face or online, so I didn’t logon to BL or any other of my usual social media haunts. I missed you guys, missed your reviews and comments. Hopefully, I've shaken the worst of it off and I’m back now.

I did read during this time, but most of what I read wasn’t any good (or maybe it was my depression talking). So a quick reading recap of the last two weeks. And tomorrow, I promise, I’ll start reading your reviews again.

Jayne Ann Krentz – Secret Sisters

Meh. Probably 2 stars. I did finish the book

Lisa Shearin – The Brimstone Deception

Not bad. Not very good either, just a solid novel of urban fantasy. A bit of humor, a bit of enjoyment, and utterly forgettable. 3 stars.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips – The Great Escape

A reread. Last time I read it, I gave it 3 stars. This time, I’d probably bump it to 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the novel, but then I usually like anything written by this writer. A charming novel of chic lit.

Jayne Ann Krentz – Running Hot

Another reread. I liked it. It was published in 2009 and it was probably the last book this author published that was of a high enough standard. Afterwards, her quality dropped dramatically. It was the usual Krentz’s romantic suspense, with some paranormal arabesques thrown in to make it more interesting, a couple of likable protagonists, and a juicy thriller twist. Easy and fun. 4 stars.

Jennifer Crusie – Welcome to Temptation

I smiled from start to finish while I read this book. A reread as well, but I haven’t read it for a while, so it felt fresh and utterly delicious. I love Crusie. 4.5 stars. There is a bit of sagging in the middle of the novel, but otherwise, an almost perfect book.

Ilona Andrews – Magic Stars

Didn’t enjoy it at all. It was quick though, not much time wasted, but then I’m not a Kate Daniels fan.

Patricia Gaffney – Sweet Everlasting

Didn’t finish. I like many books by this author, but this particular novel was so sugary and so false, I got a toothache.

Anne Gracie – Gallant Waif

Some of you might remember that this writer is my recent delightful discovery. I found four earlier books of hers that are out of print now and were never issued in e-format. This particular novel was her debut, and I liked it. It was not as polished as her later books. There were POV jumps and lots of other writing glitches, but the master storyteller she has become now is visible even in this earlier effort. 3 stars and many smiles.