Castle writes futuristic

Amaryllis - Jayne Castle Zinnia - Jayne Castle, Jayne Ann Krentz Orchid - Jayne Castle, Jayne Ann Krentz

I decided to write one review for all three books. I think I’ve OD-ed on them, reading one after another without a break. They are all three by the same author; they represent the same genre – futuristic paranormal romantic suspense; and they depict the same world – a different planet with the technology equaling roughly USA in the 1980s. The characters are interchangeable in all three stories. Everyone has a secret. Everyone falls in love. Nobody is unique or memorable.

The heroes are all alpha males, brooding, strong, capable, and compassionate (but not too compassionate). Hunks all three of them. I wouldn’t mind one for my own. The heroines are smart, spunky, and loyal. I want a friend like one of them. What the heck, I want all three as my friends. One of them, Orchid, is even a writer. By the way, all three books are called by the names of their female protagonists.

In the author’s imaginary world, everyone has a paranormal ability. Some can do illusions. Others can determine the age of artifacts. Still others have an abnormal affinity with math or agriculture. Such abilities in all three stories affect the main conflict of the plot, serve as devices for the heroes to solve their problems.

I like the approach. Sometimes, I dream about the abilities of my own. Wouldn’t it be nice if I could... convince people with my hypnotic talent to buy my books or make me their beneficiary? Or if I could use my paranormal medical mojo to heal my mother’s busted knees?

The books are enjoyable in a way a chewing gum is: no nutritional value, fiction-wise, but full of artificial flavors and easy to spit out, if needed.

The only thing I didn’t like in all three books was the irresistible attraction the heroes and heroines feel for each other from the moment they met, but then I never favored insta-love or insta-lust. Otherwise, very nice. I own the books and I intend to reread them some time in the future, when I forget the story lines. It should be real soon.