Little Free Library woes

An unusual take on the Little Free Library.

Saturday mornings unsettle me. Especially when the weather’s good. There’s a lively farmers’ market just down the street from us, with a bluegrass band, homemade donuts and vegan tamales. It’s great, if you’re into that sort of thing.

But it means floods of the worst kind of foot traffic. Graying gardeners and aging hippies; Bernie-or-Bust types; millennial parents, tatted and pierced, shepherding toddlers with names like Arya — damn near every one of whom stops to check out my Little Free Library.

And after paying $18 for an heirloom tomato and a pair of zucchini, you can’t blame a person for grabbing a free book. Indeed, this kind of neighborly interaction was exactly what my wife Heidi was hoping for when she got me the library for Hanukkah. Heidi’s the sunny and optimistic type, yin to my cranky yang, which made her an easy mark  for the Little Free Library Foundation and its stated mission of promoting “the love of reading and to build a sense of community.”

...................

To read the rest, click on the link.

Source: http://www.salon.com/2016/07/04/my_little_free_library_war_how_our_suburban_front_yard_lending_box_made_me_hate_books_and_fear_my_neighbors