12 Tasks of Holiday Season - update #1

Under The Mistletoe - Mary Balogh Hot Toy - Jennifer Crusie

I completed 4 more tasks, but I cheated a bit. I read Mary Balogh's collection Under the Mistletoe. It is comprised of 5 Christmas novellas. Like everything by this author, each novella is a historical romance, set in England in the 19th century. I decided to treat them as separate stories – which they are – to qualify for 3 Christmas tasks. Another task is also a novella - Hot Toy by Jennifer Crusie. My reviews are coming. So far, all my tasks are reading-related. I'll see if I could make even one of them an activity.

Task #1 Winter Wonderland

• Read a book that is set in a snowy place
  • If you are lucky enough to live in a snowy place, or even if you aren't, take a walk outside and post a picture of something pretty you encountered on your way.

Mary Balogh – The Best Gift, a novella in the author’s Christmas anthology Under the Mistletoe. An important part of the story is a frolicking sledding party in the snow.

Task #3 Holiday Party

• Read a book where a celebration is a big part of the action. Examples would include holiday parties, country house hunting/weekend parties, weddings, etc.
  • Make something that is considered party food where you are from, and post a picture of it on booklikes.

Mary Balogh – A Family Christmas, a novella in the author’s Christmas anthology Under the Mistletoe. A large part of the story is taken by a family’s Christmas celebration.

Task #12 Wassail Bowl

• Read a book set in the UK, preferably during the medieval or Victorian periods (for those of us doing the Merlin read-along, the Crystal Cave works for this task).
  • Drink a festive, holiday beverage, alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Take a picture of your drink, and post it to share make it as festive as possible!

Mary Balogh – Playing House, a novella in the author’s Christmas anthology Under the Mistletoe. The story takes place in England in the 19th century. The author even mentions wassail bowls, as a treat for carolers.

Task #7 Christmas

• Read a book set during the Christmas holiday season.
  • Grab your camera (or your phone) and set up a Christmas bookstagram-style scene with favorite holiday reads, objects or decorations. Possibly also a cat. Post it for everyone to enjoy!

Jennifer Crusie – Hot Toy, a novella in the collection It Must Be Christmas