Flying Too High - Kerry Greenwood At the risk of being called blasphemous by my fellow reading buffs, I announce that this is the rare occasion when a movie is better than a book it’s based on. Or a TV series, as is the case here. I’m a big fan of the Australian mini TV series Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. I love everything in it: the characters, the cast, the directing, the screen writing, and the cinematography. It’s one of my all-time favorite series, following the detecting adventures of Phryne Fisher, the glamorous and cunning minx of a PI from Melbourne in the 1920s. I cheered when they announced their second season.
Because of the TV series, I picked up this book, the first I’ve ever read by this author. It will be the last too, because the book is rather blah. The characters are flat, the emotional involvement is zero, and the story is boring despite its entanglement with a murder and a kidnapping.
Instead of reading more books in this series, I’m going to watch the second season, when it’s released by the studio. I anticipate lots of fun and I don’t want to spoil my enjoyment of the charming and mischievous Phryne Fisher in the skillful rendition of Essie Davis. The actress portrays her heroine much better than the author does.
I love the cover art though.