A Painted Doom: Number 6 in series (Wesley Peterson) - Kate Ellis Another good installment in the Wesley Peterson series. In this one, an aging musician, former rock star Jonny Shellmer, is murdered. Nobody can understand the crime: according to everyone who knew Jonny, he was a decent and likable man, with no enemies. As Wesley investigates, some chilling truths come to the light, truths many people would prefer buried. Intertwined with Jonny’s murder is a story of an awkward teenager Lewis, trying to fit in with his classmates. And as in any other novel of the series, a dreadful medieval tale, unearthed by Wesley’s friend, archeologist Neil Watson, reverberates with the same depravity that had led to Jonny’s murder. People seem to be prone to the same wicked passions in any age.
I enjoyed this book but I have one serious complaint. By now, the characters of the series have become a bit stale. Although there are outward developments: a new baby on the way, a doctorate almost finished, inside, all the characters stay essentially the same. I wish the author would stop trying to develop her characters, because it feels contrived, and concentrate on what she does best: the plot of the mystery.
The only character of this series I never get tired of is Devon, the beautiful county in the south-west of England. With its picturesque villages, its narrow lanes between hedged-in fields, and its multitude of small towns, each with her own personality and architectural quirks, Devon stands alive in Ellis’s novels. Steeped in history but striving for progress, it sports a number of controversies that enrich the author’s prose tremendously. It’s almost unbelievable that she made up all the towns and villages in this series. What a wealth of imagination she has!
A must-read for all the fan of the series and anyone who likes British mysteries.