Trust Me on This - Jennifer Crusie This is not my favorite by this author, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, as I enjoy everything written by her. Crusie herself dubbed this novel ‘a slapstick comedy’, and I agree. It is a romantic comedy, a funny romp of a story incorporating mistaken identities, conmen, government agencies, and of course, love. The story takes place in a hotel during a pop lit writers’ conference. Are you smiling? You should.
Dennie is an investigative reporter who has always had it easy. Finally, she decides to take a plunge and pursue the story of her life, no matter how hard it proves to be. If only she could avoid being arrested by the charming government agent Alec masquerading as an empty-eyed, rich doofus. If only she could convince an angry feminist writer to grant her an interview. If only she could resist Alec’s persistent wooing to concentrate on her career.
Dennie’s contemplations about Alec are humorous and very perceptive, if a bit saucy:

Trying to seduce Alec at all was a waste of time; he came preseduced anyway. Like a microwave entrée. You press his buttons, and he got hot.

Light and fluffy, the novel is a fast, delightful read, but although it is not especially profound, it has some unplumbed depths. Taking risks, going out of the comfort zone seems to be the leitmotif of this tale, at least for its female characters. One of them says:
“…I’ve been in a rut. I need to take some risks, fail a little. I really believe that if you’re not failing now and then, you’re not trying hard enough. Failure says, well, at least you’re living. You’re stretching.”

Wise, sharp repartees in dialog, peppering the novel, also mark it as unmistakably Crusie:
“Don’t you ever watch TV cop shows?” Harry asked.
“No.” Victoria put her chin in the air. “I’m an intellectual.”

I guess I couldn’t be considered an intellectual myself, at least not according to Crusie: I regularly watch CSI NY and Bones. Perhaps that’s why I enjoyed this book so much.