Fair Game  - Patricia Briggs In my opinion, this is the author’s best book, almost perfect. I liked it tremendously. I like everything Patricia Briggs has published so far, but this one is my favorite.
As in the other volumes in the series, its protagonists are werewolves, a married couple Anna and Charles. Charles’s father Bran is the Marrok, the leader of all the werewolves in North America. For years, Charles has served as his father’s judge and executioner, and the multitude of lives he has taken is weighing him down. Anna, concerned for her beloved, goes to bat with Bran so he would stop sending Charles out to kill people (aka werewolves). To relieve the strain on his son and daughter-in-law, Bran sends them to Boston to help FBI find a serial killer. The search for the killer constitutes most of the story.
The novel is written tightly, with no unnecessary detours. The danger level mounts fast, as Anna, Charles, and the other characters sift through clues to find the villain. Like in real life, the time is short. Some of the allies are good guys, and some are not so good, some fully human, others paranormal, but all of them are fighting for the same goal, although for different reasons.
Another parallel with our life is the ending, frustrating but realistic: the legal system failed the heroes. In the best literary tradition, they take justice into their own hands, and the bad guy is ultimately punished. But of course, complications arising from the vigilante actions open up possibilities for the future books in the series.
Anna is the most interesting character in this, as well as the other novels in the series. A charming, very feminine, non-aggressive werewolf, she makes a nice deviation from all the other werewolves out there in paranormal fiction. Her development is the deepest since the beginning of the series, and I can’t wait for another story about her.
The only problem I had with this novel occurred during the last fight. Before it, the action galloped, and suspension climbed rapidly. Now, it suddenly started crawling. When every second and line should’ve counted, Charles spends three pages contemplating the rights and wrongs of killing one of the bad guys. The scene reads like a turtle when it should’ve read like a sprinting cheetah. But other than that – wonderful. Definitely recommended.