Physics, sex, and ghosts - a good combination

A Gift of Ghosts  - Sarah Wynde

This short and humorous romance with ghosts was a delightful reading diversion. Its protagonist Akira is a physicist who can communicate with ghosts. All her life, she kept her quirky ability to see and talk to ghosts private, but after one unthinking paragraph in a scientific paper, her academic career started deteriorating. When a job offer came from a small town of Tassamara, Florida, Akira grabs it. She doesn’t know that on her new job, her ghost-chatting ability will be a huge plus.

The entire town collects psychics, and although at first Akira feels weird and misplaced, she soon finds her footing. She befriends the resident ghosts in her house and becomes attached to the ghost in her rented car.

Her boss Zane is not a ghost. He is a full-blooded man and an unexpected bonus to her research project. Sweet, handsome, and easy-going, Zane might be just what Akira needs after a series of devastating breakups. No boyfriend of hers was willing to accept her ghosts before, but Zane is different. He has a gift of his own, and Akira’s talking to ghosts doesn’t freak him out.

The story line is light and a bit fluffy, and the ghosts play weightier parts in it than most human characters, with the exception of Akira herself. I liked her story and look forward to more books in the series.

The writer’s originality and wit in her approach to ghosts contributed to my enjoyment of this book. Here is what Akira thought about relatives of the ghosts she sees:

Relatives always expected her to have the answers, as if seeing ghosts came with some gigantic book of profound insight into the spirit world. It didn’t. Or if it did, her copy of the book had gotten lost in the mail.

The writer’s approach to sex is also refreshing. Akira is a physicist, and the scene of her seduction of Zane plays heavily with scientific physical terms. Friction produces desire. Kinetic energy gets converted to heat. Oscillations enhance the performance. “I bet you can find a really good place to oscillate,” she says to Zane and goes on explaining about resonant frequencies, while they f#$% shamelessly on the page, and the reader gets lusty too.

I also want to point out that the writing was excellent. I haven’t spotted even one misspelling – a rare occurrence for indie writers.

And I learned a new word tetrachromat – a creature who can see more than the usual visual spectrum, like ultraviolet. Tetrachromats can see a million shades of colors.

Recommended to any fan of light romance.